Re: Feedback on the ping="" attribute (ISSUE-1)

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:34:25 -0500
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On 11/8/07, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> The expectation is that unless you've typed in a credit card number you can
> click _anything_ without fear, from what I've seen.  Again, the difference
> between GET and POST is just not something users know about (or much care). I'm
> not sure they should need to, either...

They don't need to know the methods or their specific meaning, but I
think its critical they understand the difference between safe and
unsafe actions.

Purchases aren't the only time users are committing to anything.
There's also voting for favourite pictures/videos/whatever, posting
comments, editing a blog post, changing their profile info at a site,
uploading images, ... I could go on and on.

TimBL wrote something eons ago about the importance of making the
difference between safe and unsafe actions visible through the UI, but
I can't for the life of me find it right now.

Mark.