Re: Feedback on the ping="" attribute (ISSUE-1)

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 08:55:24 -0500
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: "HTML WG List" <public-html@w3.org>

On 11/8/07, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> I appreciate the distinction, sure.  Here are the facts we seem to agree on:
>
> 1)  A message can be idempotent or not idempotent independent of how it's
>     treated by the server.
> 2)  Whether a message is idempotent is a matter of definition.
>
> Are we OK on those?

Yes, good.  Sorry, I think I might have been confusing your position with Ian's.

> Given that, the specification that defines ping messages is the specification
> under discussion here.  And it defines them to not be idempotent.

So this is where we disagree.  I believe that the meaning of the
message is defined by the intent of the user, and that in this case,
as the user is clicking a link, that no unsafe/non-idempotent message
can result.

Mark.