Re: <code type="...">

From: Josh Sled <jsled@asynchronous.org>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 20:02:35 -0400
To: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
"Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk> writes:

>> Extending, user-agents might dispatch to external handlers or formatters
>> based on @type.
>
> Handlers? Are you proposing that <code> should actually be *executed*?

Not necessarily.  I was thinking more along the lines of presentation,
browsing/editing and/or saving.

>> Also, I note the analog with <object type=...>.
>
> But <object> actually *does* something, as opposed to <code> whose purpose is
> to mark up a code fragment for display/presentation, not execution.

My use-case was presentation-focused.  More generally, when we have content,
it's useful to have a media (MIME) type for that content expressed or implied.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}