Re: <code type="...">

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 00:43:18 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

Josh Sled wrote:
> <code> should have a type attribute, which indicates the media type of the
> inlined content(-fragment).

Some might say that HTML is already strangely specific for computing
Further refining these elements seems weird, considering that other
areas are still arguably lacking more adequate elements to better mark
up content.

> As a use-case, a (hypothetical) javascript library -- say, during body onLoad
> -- could parse and syntax-hilight [[[
>
>     <pre><code type="text/x-python-source">
>     def foo():
>         return [x**2 for x in range(10)]
>     </code></pre>
>
> ]]] differently from [[[
>
>     <pre><code type="application/json">
>     {'foo': ['bar', 'baz','quux'],
>      'bar': 42,
>     }
>     </code></pre>
>
> ]]] in a blog posting using such code as examples.

Your use example seems to suggest that you'd want it mainly for styling
reasons...in which case I'd argue that this could be more appropriately
solved by using class attributes (but not by reserving those in the spec).

> Extending, user-agents might dispatch to external handlers or formatters
> based on @type.

Handlers? Are you proposing that <code> should actually be *executed*?

> Also, I note the analog with <object type=...>.

But <object> actually *does* something, as opposed to <code> whose
purpose is to mark up a code fragment for display/presentation, not
execution.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/