Re: Paving Cowpaths

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 18:22:02 +0100
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Chris Wilson wrote:

> As much as I'd love to subscribe to this philosophy, David,

I think the problem is that the folks who make web pages

(to make a gross generalization) don't read the HTML spec

except as a last resort.  They type into Notepad (or similar text editor).

I don't think this last statement has been true for at least ten years.

These days, they use whatever web-page editing tool they first happen
upon (Front Page, Dreamweaver, Homesite, whatever) and stick with
it virtually regardless.  Very few make an informed decision to
switch to a better editor, and fewer still write angle-brackets
and &amp;s by hand ...

Philip Taylor