Re: results of HTML 5 text, editor, name questions

On Tue, 15 May 2007 16:08:07 +0200, Olivier GENDRIN <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/10/07, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
>> FYI: For voting only one representative of a company can cast a vote
>> counting for the company or organization he represents. This basically
>> means that I, for instance, am not a Working Group Member, but part of one
>> Member that has joined the Working Group.
>>
>> As for Opera, we internally decided that Lars Erik Bolstad will cast votes
>> and make descisions on behalf of Opera within the Working Group when
>> needed. I would expect that other Member companies / organizations have
>> similar policies.
>>
>> Section 3.4 of the W3C Process document discusses this issue in more
>> detail:
>>
>>    http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#Votes
>
> But in our group, we've got much more invited experts than usual. If
> the rec has to be implemented in two UA, shouldn't we consider that a
> vote can't be valid unless two browser makers have voted for the
> chosen solution ?

There is no need. If everyone who might make a browser is clearly against a proposal, then a) it won't have much consensus and b) it is unlikely to ever get the running code to support it. If someone makes a formal objection (i.e. requests that W3C block a transition and re-examine the issue) and gives sound reasoning, and it is clear that the implementors are really not interested in something that a large bloc of others want, then W3C will have to work out how to handle the situation. This has happened in the past, and the solutions have generally been fairly pragmatic.

Consensus - a core value of W3C - is about figuring out how to find something that works, not about voting.

chaals@opera.com  Catch up: Speed Dial  http://opera.com