Re: Paving Cowpaths

From: Denis Boudreau (WebConforme) <dboudreau@webconforme.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 14:16:16 -0400
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Hi there,

> I am asked to review other organizations' web sites on an almost
> weekly basis, and if I had a dollar for every time I saw this exact
> configuration:
> I'd be spending my vacation in Montreal.

That's too bad, you'd love it. Montreal is a beautiful city. ;)

> I'm sure it's not just the public sector, so this must be a fairly
> common usage.  Should it be written into the HTML 5 spec?  My vote
> would be no.  After years of nudging the reluctant to separate
> presentational information from the actual content, along come
> authoring tools and CMSs that apparently are not with the program.
> All it takes is one misinformed programmer working for a tool
> vendor and voila -- instant cowpath.

I agree. This is the exact same point made by John Folliot earlier.
It's not because people do something that it's necessarily good or
worth building a spec around. There is some sort of simplification of
ideas in this debate that is quite disturbing. I guess my criticism
is as good as any when it comes to being against instant cowpaths.

--
Denis Boudreau,
Directeur

WebConforme / AccessibilitéWeb