Re: Proposal: Chained Classnames

From: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:11:21 -0400
To: HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>
Cc: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>,

At 04:09 PM 5/17/2007 +0200, Dão Gottwald wrote:
>Philip Taylor (Webmaster) schrieb:
>>Dão Gottwald wrote:
>>>
>>>The discussion is about defining semantics for certain classes, which is
>>>utterly unrelated to default style sheets.
>>How /can/ it be "utterly unrelated" ?
>
>It was never proposed to specify default styles for those classes.

I think that you are mistaken. But just in case you are correct -- that
there has
never been an email that explicitly argues for assigning styles for CLASSes --
then please consider this such a proposal.

However, I think that everyone understood the intention to use CLASS names
as semantic tokens and as CSS selectors.

Besides, since a CLASS value relates an element to a CSS style, and also
relates an element to an out-of-band semantic, then it seems clear that
the CSS style sheet is related to an out-of-band semantic through their
common relationship to a CLASS name.