Re: Getting beyond the ping pong match (was RE: Cleaning House)

On Mon, 7 May 2007, Kornel Lesinski wrote:

> On Sat, 05 May 2007 21:30:32 +0100, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
> wrote:
>
>> Considering all the proposed predefined class names, the possibility of
>> clashes is very real.
>
> Yes, there is, but is it really a problem?

Yes, if the predefined class has some real impact. If it does not, why
introduce it?

> All elements in the HTML spec get abused. Will the number of clashes be
> greater than incorrect uses of other elements like <address>, <blockquote> or
> <h1>?

That's irrelevant. Using class="copyright" does not violate any
requirement or definition now, no matter what I use it for.

> If we defined <example> element, wouldn't it be almost as (un)likely to be
> mis-used as <p class=example>?

This discussion is not about potential misuse but about conflicts with
existing specifications and usage.