Re: Cleaning House

On May 6, 2007, at 11:00 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> For HTML, there is no significant distinction in attested use
>> between <em> and <i>. In practice they are used in the same kinds
>> of contexts. However, there is a nominal difference in the spec.
>
> What do you base this on?
>
> I have seen <i> used for a range of things, most commonly to
> indicate emphasis or to indicate quoting. In other words my
> experience has been that people use it when they want italics which
> can be desired for a number of things.
>
> OTOH I haven't seen <em> used nearly as much so I can't really say
> what people are using it for. The few uses I have seen though has
> been by people that care about semantic correctness and has
> explicitly wanted to indicate emphasis.

There are some WYSIWYG web editing tools that insert <em></em> when
you hit the [/I/] button or otherwise select italics -- I believe
DreamWeaver is one of them. This alone makes it pretty likely that
there's a significant amount of content out there using <em> for non-
italic emphasis. I suspect there are also some authors who use <em>
in place of <i> always, because they've heard it's more semantic.

Better than arguing it in the abstract would be to do some sort of
survey for how often <em> and <i> indicate non-emphasis italics.

Regards,
Maciej