Re: Research for class="copyright"

Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

> Terje Bless wrote:
>> It also shows that even given that miniscule and statistically
>> insignificant sample there are a disproportionate number that do _not_
>> use the class 'copyright' for anything even remotely resembling a
>> copyright notice.
>

> *Know* I shouldn't even ask, but.. :)
>
> Why not use ID..?

id's are unique within a document, but you might have several
components/sections in a given document, each with different copyright.
I grant you that as the HTML5 draft is written, class="copyright" is
only for the entire document, so it could well be an id:

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-global.html#class

I'd say that's a flaw in the proposal though.

> My rationale: Would be nice to one day have the universality, such as
> would ever be possible, such that one could tack on #content,
> #copyright, #navMain (or #nav), #webmaster, #contact et al(l) and, *if*
> the website chooses to follow that standard, the user goes immediately
> to those theoretically standard relative [blocks] on the webpage of a
> thusly designed universal website..

That would indeed be fantastic. Especially skipping to main. In theory
<link> and <a> can already sort of do this for copyright. Both the HTML5
draft and ARIA roles promise to expand their potential further. UA
support is currently somewhat poor though.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis