Re: Cleaning House

From: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 17:18:45 -0400
To: tina@greytower.net
Cc: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>,Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, www-html@w3.org,public-html@w3.org

At 10:51 PM 5/6/2007 +0200, Tina Holmboe wrote:
> > You keep saying that <em> is more meaningful, yet you have not been
> > able to explain what that additional meaning is. Pray tell, what more
> > does <em> tell me or anyone?
>
>   It isn't a case of how much the EM-element tell you. It's a case of
>   how LITTLE the I-element do.
>
>   I have, repeatedly, stated that the I-element as defined does not
>   convey any meaning, but the EM-element does. It is, in my opinion, the
>   /wrong decision/ to redefine the world and not expect to take the
>   consequences.

What meaning do you think that the <em> conveys?

If you answer with "emphasis", I ask you again to consider that there are
many forms of emphasis, and that bold and italic are forms of emphasis
as are yelling and whispering. I also ask you to consider that <i> may be
rendered without using an italic typeface.