Re: Cleaning House

From: Philip & Le Khanh <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 11:11:37 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

David Woolley wrote:

> In most other fields of endeavour, it is just understood
 > as part of the general rules of style.  E.g. a newspaper
 > might italicise ship names, but it would have a key saying
 > that that was what it was doing.

With the first part of this assertion, I agree 100%; but the
first part is in conflict with the second part, and I cannot
think of a single newspaper that glosses "house style" for
the benefit of the first-time reader.  If one is /really/
uncertain why a particular stretch of text is italicised,
one could consult Hart [1] to see the normal usages for
italics in current practice.

Philip Taylor
--------
Hartís Rules for Compositors and Readers at the University Press, Oxford