Re: Cleaning House

From: Philip & Le Khanh <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 11:14:48 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

David Woolley wrote:

> Philip & Le Khanh wrote:
>
>> Microsoft Word is a text editor. We are discussing an HTML editor,
>> which is a totally different kettle of fish, as I'm sure you'd
>> agree.
>
> Microsoft Word is a lot more than a text editor.  It has had styles,
> allowing semantic markup, for more than 15 years.  The styles even give
> benefits to people who use them that are not common in web browsers,
> like automatic table of contents generation and automatic heading
> numbering.

OK, perhaps "text editor" was a little harsh.  But it is used
almost exclusively to prepare a document for print.  Those using it
rarely if ever consider as they write how their words might
appear were the output medium to be anything other than
a sheet of paper.  HTML writers, on the other hand, (at least,
the more professional ones), mark up their text such that it
can map to /any/ medium, not just to a computer screen or
a sheet of paper.  Thus there is (I would argue) a fundamentally
different paradigm at work when one (a) uses Microsoft Word,
and (b) one uses an HTML editor.

Philip Taylor