Re: Support Existing Content

From: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 16:32:49 -0500
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "Gareth Hay" <gazhay@gmail.com>, "James Graham" <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, "matt@builtfromsource.com" <matt@builtfromsource.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On 5/4/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> Furthermore,
> a must-reject policy is an unstable equilibrium, as Henri Sivonen
> pointed out. If one UA mistakenly falls back on some error, ships,
> and content starts depending on it, then other UAs have a motive to
> emulate that error handling. And soon we are back to the ground zero
> of mutually reverse-engineered error handling.

I've had this same thought - and thank you Maciej for phrasing it succinctly.

Though I wonder, if a UA mistakenly implements proposed error handling
in WHATWG's HTML5 and content starts depending on it, isn't that
roughly the same problem?  You're still going to have a UA improperly
implementing a spec, content depending on it, and other UAs motivated
to emulate this incorrect behavior.