Re: Use of headers and summary attributes (was : <font> (was Support Existing Content))

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 19:58:17 +0300
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Denis Boudreau (WebConforme) <dboudreau@webconforme.com>

On May 4, 2007, at 17:41, Denis Boudreau (WebConforme) wrote:

> Either way. How on earth is a blind user supposed to know that the
> "218" value is the sub-total of all hotel expenses on this trip for
> 2 days in Boston unless the screen reader can tell him? As a seeng
> person, we understand it automatically by looking at the table. Foa
> a blind user, there needs to be indications to make that
> undersanding possible. And this is exactly what headers and ids are
> used for.

Is there a reason why explicit id-based associations are better than
implied associations with <th>s above on to the left? Is this about
backwards compat with existing AT (don't existing products do
implicit <th> association?) or about a flaw in a processing model
that implies heading associations?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi