Re: Cleaning House

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 11:19:02 +0200
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Speaking of which, I'm not really sure why the UA parsing requirements
>> with respect to processing invalid content need to be normative at
>> all. As far as I can tell, there's really no need to make them normative.
>
> If you don't make the processing requirements normative, then UAs can
> just implement whatever they like and claim conformance.  That doesn't
> help anyone at all, it just leaves us with the same situation we're in
> now.  We're trying to fix the problem, not just ignore it.

If the processing requirements are written and agreed upon, and
implemented by Apple/MS/Mozilla/Opera, it really makes no difference in
practice what normative status they have.

What's *essential* is that an author of a *conforming* document can rely
on a well-defined behavior. If an author chooses to produce
non-conforming documents, that's her/his choice.

Best regards, Julian