Re: Support Existing Content

On May 3, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Gareth Hay wrote:

> On 3 May 2007, at 18:07, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>

>> On May 2, 2007, at 2:10 PM, Gareth Hay wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not trying to make lives easier on any side.
>>> The web is a mess, even you concede this point with your rantings
>>> about external advertising content.
>>> Do you want it to continue like this? or do you want to pro-
>>> actively fix it?
>>
>> What's the point of "fixing the web" if it doesn't make anyone's
>> lives easier? This is a totally serious question - a lot of people
>> seem to be advocating the forcing of valid markup regardless of
>> whether it helps or hurts people. Surely the reason for abstract
>> goals like use of conforming markup is to have good concrete effects.
>>
> It only hurts the lazy, or the uneducated author. Either can change
> easily.
> I'm not advocating we make HTML rocket science or brain surgery, it
> doesn't have to be hard, at the moment it /is/ hard because it id
> broken, new authors find broken ways of doing things and see
> nothing wrong "because it works".

OK, that's an example of the kind of people it will hurt. (Besides
that I'd add browser developers, users accessing content that was
only tested in a browser that doesn't do strict checking with a
browser that does, and content authors who want to improve their
markup incrementally). But who will it help? If it hurts some people
and helps nobody, what is the point?

Regards,
Maciej