a quote is a quote is a quote [was Re: Cleaning House]

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 15:12:02 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org

Jason A. Lefkowitz asked, quote:
> BLOCKQUOTE is presentational?  It's meaningful semantically -
> - it indicates a block of content that's not original to the
> document it's embedded in...
unquote

i won't burden the list with my full argument for deprecating
BLOCKQUOTE, but will point you to my proposal to deprecate
BLOCKQUOTE, after listing a few bullet points:

1) a quote is a quote is a quote: one element should be sufficient to
quote indicate a block of content that's not original to the document
it's embedded in unquote -- that's the very definition of a quote;

2) BLOCKQUOTE is presentational in nature;

3) BLOCKQUOTE is a hold-over from print conventions WITHOUT semantic
meaning (unless you call an arbitrary number of sentences seperated
from the main text by blank lines and indented margins semantically
meaningful);

4) why not a single Q or QUOTE element that flows (can serve as an
inline or block element such as INS and DEL (at least in HTML4x);

please take the time to read my original proposal, archived at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0102.html

as well as the threaded discussion that it sparked.