Re: Cleaning House

Maurice wrote:
<snip>
> Um..i don't have any answers but I do have this.

> wxyz<o:p></o:p></u></p>
>
> Spent a couple minutes randomly highlighting portions of a paragraph in Word
> and bold/italics/underlining parts of it.
>
> I can't seem to get it to output the often used example of:

I'd hope not, too.  However messy their produced markup may be, it
should at least be properly nested.

> Could we get some feedback from microsoft why they use <b> instead of
> <strong>?

Did you ask for bold, or was there a "strong emphasis" button in Word?
The two are actually not the same.  Just because they *look* the same
doesn't mean they are.  If they were the same, then <b> is just as good
a tag as <strong> (except better, since <b> is five characters shorter).

> Also, they put spans all over the place. They could have just used spans
> with styles instead of b,I,and u tags.

And you would have an extra 32 characters per bold tag:

<b></b>12345678901234567890123456789012

IMO they should just use <b>, as they do already: it's much more readable.

Andrew Sidwell