Re: Cleaning House

On 5/3/07 12:26 PM, "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> John Foliot - WATS.ca wrote:
>> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>> It would be really nice if the advocates of semantic markup based
>>> their advocacy on realistic use cases instead of an axiomatic belief
>>> that more semantics are good and all presentational features are bad.
>>
>> It boils down to this:  If you want to Bold some text, or italicize it, or
>> underline it, you are doing so *for a reason*... I don't care really what
>> the reason is, you are doing so in a visual way to indicate some connotation
>> or other cue/clue to the end "reader", or consumer.
>
> Could you cite some *specific* use cases for which authors would
> typically use <b> and/or <i> due to typographical conventions, that
> would actually benefit in some way from the addition of a specific
> semantic element?  In other words, answer these questions:
>
> * What's the semantics you're trying to represent?
> * Whats the use case for the semantics? (Why would authors use it?)
> * What problems would a new feature solve?
> * Why are <b> and/or <i> unsuitable for the use case/problem?
> * What benefit is there for users?
> * What benefit is there for authors?
> * What benefit is there for implementers?

Um..i don't have any answers but I do have this.

wxyz<o:p></o:p></u></p>

Spent a couple minutes randomly highlighting portions of a paragraph in Word
and bold/italics/underlining parts of it.

I can't seem to get it to output the often used example of:

Could we get some feedback from microsoft why they use <b> instead of
<strong>?
Also, they put spans all over the place. They could have just used spans
with styles instead of b,I,and u tags.

__
I make no points and take no sides...what are you reading this?

--
::   thyme online ltd
::   po box cb13650  nassau  the bahamas