Re: Support Existing Content

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 09:51:11 -0700
Cc: Gareth Hay <gazhay@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

On May 2, 2007, at 10:48 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Indeed, we're not after consensus by attrition.

It seems to me that if there is disagreement on fundamental issues
(such as whether to be compatible with past versions of the
language), and our goal is consensus, there are only a few ways to
proceed:

1) Advocates of one side of the argument change their minds.
2) Advocates of one side of the argument leave.
3) We stop work.
4) We proceed over the objections of some, given strong arguments and
a rough consensus of a large part of the group.

Right now I think we're taking approach #3. I hope at some point we
will move on to #4, if we see no signs of #1 or #2 occurring.

Regards,
Maciej