From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 21:43:00 +0200
To: "Roger Johansson" <roger@456bereastreet.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 02 May 2007 21:14:27 +0200, Roger Johansson
<roger@456bereastreet.com> wrote:
> On 2 maj 2007, at 10.27, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
>> Indeed. At least summary= is often abused by authors: "Table used for
>> layout", "Grid of 3 by 2 cells", etc.
>
> If "abused by authors" is a valid criterion for removing an attribute or
> element, writing the HTML 5 spec should take no more than a couple of
> hours.

I meant misunderstood. I believe another reason was that the use case was
not particularly clear. Since HTML5 is not really based on HTML4 it's not
really about dropping attributes, but rather adding attributes for good
reason. I don't think such a reason was found for summary=. Tables haven't
been debated much though.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>