Re: Support Existing Content

I'm not sure I understand.

If an author is claiming to be writing HTML5 (possibly by
DOCTYPE="html5" or some such mechanism) why can we not hold the
author to that?
If the page does not conform, is not well formed, an error is displayed.
During the creation process of the page, the author will see this
error - long before it is released into the wild - and if they so
desire (as in they can't be bothered to fix it) they can change what
they claim to write to "tag-soup" and the browser is free to do it's
best - albeit different browsers will do different things, but on the
author's head be it.

I don't see this as breaking backwards compatibility, but it also
allows for a clear future path to an end point where 90% of the web
isn't tag-soup rendered completely differently depending on platform,
browser, or weather changes.

Gareth