Re: Support Existing Content

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 12:59:31 -0700
Cc: roger@456bereastreet.com, public-html@w3.org
To: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>

On May 1, 2007, at 9:11 AM, T.V Raman wrote:

> Well said.
> In the IETF world, this is called "be lenient in what you
> consume, be strict in what you produce".

Good news: this is exactly the approach that Web Apps 1.0 takes. It
has fairly strict conformance requirements for content and content
producers (in some ways more strict than HTML4), and extremely
lenient rules that content consumers such as browsers are required to
implement. In fact, I was planning to cite Postel's Law myself in
explaining the approach.

Regards,
Maciej