Re: Support Existing Content

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 19:49:04 +0200
To: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
Cc: dbaron@dbaron.org, public-html@w3.org

Also sprach T.V Raman:

 > Why aren't we defining Javascript the same way as what you
 > describe --i.e. make every failing program "somehow work".
 > Why aren't we even defining CSS that way i.e. "somehow make every
 > CSS rule parse and mean something."
 > Why is HTML special?

CSS was designed with error recovery built into the syntax. If an
unknown property or unit is used, the CSS specification describes how
to handle it.

HTML specification didn't have this in the past. (XHTML tried to
address it by adding a draconian rule: stop processing once you find
an error. Authors didn't comply and implementations soon started
defecting). Some of us think error handling should be added to HTML as
well, just like it exists in CSS. From this perspective, HTML isn't
special: it, too, needs graceful error handing. Even if the markup
doesn't deserve it :-)

-h&kon