Re: [whatwg] <font> (was Support Existing Content)

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> Adrian Sutton wrote:
>
>> If you outlaw the <font> tag, you'll just get <span style="font-family:
>> ...."> instead which has no more semantic benefit and is far more
> difficult
>> to work with.
>
> I'm sorry, I disagree : I can disable document-embedded CSS in
> my browser, if I find a document difficult or impossible
> to read -- I don't believe there is any corresponding proposal
> to allow browser users to specify which sub-set of tags the
> browser should ignore.

A quick test-case:

   <!DOCTYPE html>

Shows that at least Firefox 1.5, when View->Page Style->No Style is
selected, the text "This should be green." is not green.  I see no other
option in IE 7, and my installation of Opera seems to have gone walkabouts.

Andrew Sidwell