Re: Support Existing Content

On 1 May 2007, at 16:36, Dão Gottwald wrote:

> Gareth Hay schrieb:
>>> I find it funny that technically advanced individuals in this
>>> very mailing list break up our nice threads again and again. What
>>> do you think, Gareth, should the server just have rejected your
>>> mail?
>> I suppose I'm not technically advanced enough to understand the
>> point you are making here Dao.
>
> See <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007May/
> 0040.html>:
> unwritten) protocol, yet your mail wasn't rejected and I was able
> to read it. That was just an example for fault tolerance, and why
> it's needed.

Actually, I think it was the subject line that was missing, because I
wanted to quote more than one mail I chose to forward rather than reply.
And indeed illustrates my point perfectly. If you allow people to get
away with shoddy practices, they won't stop. had the mail been
rejected, I would have been forced to take corrective action to get
the message to you all.

You see this as an advantage, I see it as a disadvantage, why should
I conform, when you can clearly still read my mails if I don't?

>>> See, people aren't perfect, especially those who author HTML.
>>> User Agents will have to accept ill-formed mark-up. Advanced
>>> authors who want/need strictness and/or extensibility can chose
>>> the XHTML derivative (by that I don't mean XHTML2).
>> To address the point I do understand, I agree, no one is perfect,
>> but are you really suggest something akin to using a C compiler to
>> take some pseudo code input and attempt to produce executable
>> code, by hook or crook?
>
> Maybe in the future. Until today, average Jane doesn't produce
> programs, but she does have a blog or a myspace page.

That was an analogy. Last time i checked there is some (en)coding
involved in Blogs and MySpace, and the like anyway.

Gareth