Re: Support Existing Content

From: Gareth Hay <gazhay@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 15:17:15 +0100
Cc: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
To: W3C List <public-html@w3.org>

> James Graham wrote:
>
>> What gives you the idea that all content with <!DOCTYPE HTML> (or
>> whatever) at the top will be "well formed"
>
> It won't (until pigs learn to fly); what I am arguing is that
> for HTML5+, browsers should refuse to render non-well-formed
> documents.  All extant (HTML 4.01-) documents would continue
> to be renderable and rendered for the foreseeable future, but
> w.e.f. HTML5, non-well-formed HTML5+ documents would never be
> seen by the end user,
>

> To jeopardise this opportunity by insisting that the
> browser use the same parsing/rendering algorithms for legacy
> ("tag soup") documents as for new ("well formed") documents
> is insane, IMHO.
>
> Philip Taylor

I think this is 100% spot on, and far more nicely said than my
previous attempts.

I tried to raise the point that UA's can use what they have now to
render backward content, while striving for something better with
HTML5, I wholeheartedly agree with Philip's comments.

At the very least this forces authors to better understand what they
are doing. Yes, some will just always stick in tag soup mode because
it's what they know and it works for them, the point is they will do
that *anyway*.
We can use HTML5 to progress the web in a way that will provide
better cleaner code and a more consistent experience IMO.

Gareth