Rationale for removing the summary and headers attributes from tables?

From: Roger Johansson <roger@456bereastreet.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 09:57:11 +0200
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

While reading the HTML 5 Working Draft I noticed that two attributes
that can be used to increase the accessibility of data tables in HTML
4 have been removed. The attributes are the table element's "summary"
attribute and the td element's "headers" attribute.

What is the rationale for removing those attributes?

I have discussed this with a couple of Web accessibility experts who
were surprised by it, since both attributes can be very useful. Has
accessibility been considered before removing the attributes? What is
needed to bring them back in?

/Roger

--
http://www.456bereastreet.com/