Re: Lack of AT implementors participation (was Comments on IRC log)

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:54:32 -0500
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: T.V Raman <raman@google.com>

On Jul 31, 2007, at 5:40 PM, T.V Raman wrote:

> In its early days I used to actively hunt down and  flame people
> who dared call Emacspeak a screenreader:-) I dont do that as
> actively any more, but Emacspeak still remains a  talking
> application, not a screenreader.

Well lucky for me you've tired of chasing down such blasphemers  :-).
I did list Emacspeak under both screen reader and aural browser to
recognize both roles it plays (more so than any other screen reader).

> But you raise an important point with respect to the state of
> screenreaders and HTML/CSS -- as you point out, their focus has
> been traditionally  in some ways less than, and in others more
> than "Web pages" -- they look at the screen, not at content.

Yes, I think that's an important point that needs stressing. Often
times people point to a screen readers lack of support for HTML and
CSS facilities as evidence that "even the screen readers" don't want
those features. However, it's really a matter of them having a
different focus than a talking application or aural browser. Their
focus may be changing slowly, but they still don't seem to be
focussed on necessarily consuming HTML or CSS specific features.

Take care,
Rob