Re: Why HTML should be taught as HTML without pretending it is XML

On 7/19/07, Maurice Carey <maurice@thymeonline.com> wrote:

> Part of this recent surge of public interest in css and web standards is due
> to certain "web pro's" making a name for them self and actually becoming a
> little bit "famous" and then everyone followed their lead. Listening to what
> _they_ had to say about web standards and _then_ discovering and
> understanding the w3c. Visit some of these people's sites. Many are in xhml
> (although there are plenty of reasons to not be using xhtml) and the
> majority of them explicitly close _every_ tag on their pages.
> (I haven't actually checked myself but my gut feeling is that I'm right :)
>
> It just feels like the right way to do it to me. The "pro" way of doing it.
> The "don't cut corners you lazy bastard" way of doing it.

Yes, Maurice is right. The pro way is a huge use case.  It is an industry.

Books

- Zeldman, Jeffrey. Designing With Web Standards, Second Addition, New
Riders Publishing, 2006.
- Zeldman, Jeffrey. Designing With Web Standards, New Riders Publishing, 2003.
- Ruse, Kevin. Web Standards Design Guide (Internet Series), Charles
River Media, 2005.
- Niederst, Jennifer. HTML and XHTML Pocket Reference, O'Reilly, 2006.
- Musciano, Chuck and Kennedy, Bill. HTML & XHTML: The Definitive
Guide, O'Reilly, 2006.
- Lloyd, Ian. Build Your First Website The Right Way Using HTML and
CSS, Sitepoint, 2006.
- Holzschlag, Molly E. Special Edition Using HTML and XHTML, Que, 2002.
- Haine, Paul. HTML Mastery: Semantics, Standards, and Styling,
Friends of ED, 2006.
- Griffiths, Patrick. XHTML Dog: The Best-Practice Guide to XHTML and
CSS, New Riders, 2006.
- Griffiths, Patrick. XHTML & CSS: A Web Standards Approach, New Riders, 2005.
- Freeman, Elisabeth and Freeman, Eric. Head First HTML with CSS &
XHTML, O'Reilly & Associates, 2005.
- Debolt, Virginia. Mastering Integrated HTML and CSS, Sybex Inc, 2007.
- Debolt, Virginia. Integrated HTML and CSS, Sybex Inc, 2005.
- Cederholm, Dan. Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style, Apress, 2004.
- Cederholm, Dan. Bulletproof Web Design: Creating Flexibility with
XHTML and CSS, New Riders, 2005.
- Cederholm, Dan. Bulletproof Web Design, New Riders Publishing, 2005.
- Castro, Elizabeth. HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition: (Visual
QuickStart Guide), Peachpit Press, 2006.
- Budd, Andy, et al. Web Standards Creativity: Innovations in Web
Design with XHTML, CSS, and DOM Scripting, Friends of ED, 2007.
- Budd, Andy, et al. CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions,
Friends of ED, 2006.

More Books: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-2635528-6289556?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=html+web+standards&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Sites
http://www.webstandards.org/