Re: extracting semantics Re: Namespace

Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 18 juil. 2007 à 02:57, Robert Burns a écrit :
>> Earlier I gave the example of changing the semantics  of <small>  from
>> meaning "presentationally small text" to meaning "legal descriptions
>> and other disadvantages" With that, "the likelihood that it will be
>> interpreted and presented as intended by an implementation" falls
>> dramatically.
>
> Indeed a semantics extractor looking at the version of HTML

> * HTML 4.01
>   SMALL: Renders text in a "small" font.
> * HTML 5.01
>   The small element represents small print (part of a document often
> describing legal restrictions, such as copyrights or other
> disadvantages), or other side comments.
>

> Then I'm an implementer of a semantics extractor. What are my
> implementation strategies?

For those of us who believe that practical concerns outweigh theoretical
possibilities, it would be much more persuasive if those who are
claiming that slight changes in the definition of e.g. <small> are
problematic could produce examples of existing tools that are affected
by this kind of change and examples from the public web of the kind of
documents for which the processing, by those tools, would be different
in significant ways between HTML4 and HTML5.

--
"Mixed up signals
Bullet train