Re: Accesskey - spec proposal

On Jul 3, 2007, at 7:07 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 4 juil. 2007 à 02:22, Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :
>> 3) How does work on phones that are all touchscreen and don't even
>> show an onscreen keyboard most of the time?
>
> these devices are not really usable for some categories of
> accessibility.
> Tactile feedback is for example important for some users.

The use of accesskey cited doesn't appear to be for accessibility
purposes, just as a handy shortcut on a device with the typical phone
keypad layout.

I think my main comment on accesskey would be that we should approach
it like other features under recent discussion - start with the
problem and requirements, not the solution.

accesskey may currently be workable for device-specific content on a
single class of devices. But our charter calls for HTML5 to be "a
platform-neutral and device-independent design". So if keyboard/keypad
shortcuts are an important use case, let's see if we can come up with
something more device-independent than the accesskey of today, which
is pretty much a failure on this front. To do that, we'll need to
start by understanding the requirements.

Cheers,
Maciej