Re: DI element [Re: html 5 and accessibility issue]

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:58:01 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org
2007/7/3, Ben Boyle:

> On 7/3/07, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> > The <tbody> element is inferred by the HTML parser if the tags are
> > absent.
>
> Hmm. Parsing is not my strong suit, forgive any misunderstandings ...
>
> I just did a test here, a simple HTML doc with a table and no <tbody> elements.
> Then I applied some styles:
> tr > td {
>         border: 1px solid blue;
> }
>
> tr > tbody > td {
>         border: 1px solid red;
> }
>
> The borders are blue (Firefox 2). There is no "implied tbody" (as I
> understand it, as an author!)

You might have wanted to use table > tr and table > tbody > tr as selectors...

> I also tested <di> and it did nothing...
> couldn't access it for styling. No surprise, it's not in any current
> spec.

That's wrong, I styled it successfully in Firefox 2, Opera 9.21 and
Safari 3.0.2 for Windows (but not in IE 7, because it puts a pair DI
and /DI –yes an element whose name starts with a slash– empty elements
in the DOM).

See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0109.html
(beware, the archives cuts the link to my experiments in the middle of
the URI, you'll have to copy/paste it)

> Parsing aside, I believe my use case still relevant for a <di>
> element.

The problem is not about parsing, it's about support of
non-html5-aware browsers: you'll have to support *both* DLs with DIs
(be they "implied" or not at parsing) and DLs without in your scripts
*and* stylesheets.

--
Thomas Broyer