Re: DI element [Re: html 5 and accessibility issue]

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:11:23 +0200
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Ben Boyle" <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
Cc: "Andrew Ramsden" <andrew@irama.org>, "Andrew Sidwell" <takkaria@gmail.com>, aurélien levy <aurelien.levy@free.fr>, public-html@w3.org

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 02:57:55 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Ben Boyle wrote:

>> Take away the <di> and it becomes necessary to use all kinds of
>> redundant tags (or as I was told on the microformats wiki, "don't use
>> definition lists in this manner".)

>> <dt>Fax</dt>
>> ####</span</dd>
>>
>> That's my use case. I never said it was great :)
>
> I think it's a fine use case, but I don't think it needs any changes to
> HTML. Why can't the microformats parsers just be defined such that they
> respect the semantics of a <dl>, and allow the use of a class on <dt> to
> indicate something about the associated <dd>s?

Because it means they have to write their own microparser to actually
interpret those semantics, unless there is a magic API that exposes the
grouping to them. Whereas microformats leverage the structure of HTML to
add semantics not available in the language itself.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com