Re: LONGDESC: some current problems and a proposed solution added to the wiki

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 22:27:01 -0500
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>

On Jul 2, 2007, at 10:04 PM, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
> I remember Chris Wilson saying he will not fix IE bugs if it
> affects an
> unspecified number of users. Basically that means that until IE
> disappears, a
> new element like <picture> is *way* more realistic than pretending
> that
> <object> will ever be interoperable.

To be fair, I can't imagine how it would break any HTML in the wild
if IE and every other browser made these simplest forms of object
just work with reasonable default parameters :

<object data='myimage'>
fallback
</object>

<object data='myvideo'>
fallback
</object>

<object data='myaudio'>
fallback
</object>

<object title="my way cool 2d animated drawing" type='image/canvas'>
fallback
</object>

(obviously only for browsers that already support the canvas API or
have suitable plugin to draw on)

<object data=myflash'>
fallback
</object>