WF2 step attribute

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:28:30 +0100 (BST)
To: public-html@w3.org

The current WF2 spec says:

  "For numeric controls, the default value
   of the step attribute is 1."

I think this is wrong.

For fields used to enter floating point numbers you can use the step
attribute to specify a fixed precision, e.g. 0.01 for a number used
for the price in dollars, but how do you indicate an infinitesimally
small value with step without an ugly assumption about the precision
the implementation is using to represent floating point numbers?

The spec should define the default for type="number" as an
infinitesimally small value or we should consider introducing a new
type such as type="float" if we want to retain 1 as the default for
the case where numeric fields are most commonly used for integers.