Re: Brainstorming - abbreviations

From: Bill Mason <w3c@accessibleinter.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:07:14 -0700
To: public-html@w3.org

Sandy Smith wrote:

>> Further, web content accessibility guidelines do not, to my knowledge,
>> make a distinction between needing to "explain" abbreviations that are
>> "novel" versus all.
> Nor was I arguing that they did; I merely pointed out that it is
> customary to have content creation guidelines in an organization that
> require the callout of any acronym used for the first time in a
> document, but rare to have the reverse. Not all semantic meaning is for
> accessibility.

My point was that since current best practices require the callout for
both abbr and acronym be exposed to the user in some fashion or
fashions, a use case such as yours predicated on only needing to call
out acronym and not abbr doesn't really establish anything, in my view.

Bill Mason
Accessible Internet