Re: Preparing to launch the Forms Task Force ...

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:17:53 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org, www-forms@w3.org

Also sprach Ian Hickson:

 > > As a starting point, the Task Force would be expected to collect use
 > > cases and assumptions, followed by work on the basic design choices that
 > > flow from them.
 >
 > Wouldn't a better starting point for a forms task force be to build on the
 > work of the Web Application Formats working group? Art (the chair of that
 > group) has already proposed that this group take over publication of their
 > document, which is currently a W3C WD document.

I think we're at the heart of a fundamental question that the group
will need to address. Is the new WG starting from scratch, or are we
building on the work of the WHAT WG?

I have immense respect for good editors. Both Dave and Ian are among
those. Dave did his pioneering work on HTML in the mid-90s and Ian
continued it 10 years later.

My gut feeling -- and I only speak on behalf of my own gut -- is that
trying to create a new W3C draft in parallel with WHAT WG will be an
insurmountable challenge for any editor, and confusing for
implementors and users. I would therefore nominate Ian to continue his
role as editor in the new HTML WG, thereby building on the work of the
WHAT WG. This seems faster, more efficient, and a more peaceful.

-h&kon