Progressive Implementation Report (was: Public Understanding of the Timeframe of HTMl 5 Development)

Hi, Folks-

Dan's proposed schedule seems reasonable to me.

But in addition to the W3C timeline, there are likely to be
implementations of particular features well in advance.  This is not
unique to this specification, but I suspect it will be a bit more
extreme than for other specs.

This would be good information for both developers and for the HTML
Working Group itself to have.  For authors, knowing what is implemented
where gives them a good idea of what they can target; for developers of
script libraries, this can let them know where to concentrate their
compensatory efforts; for the HTML WG, knowing what implementors intend
to work on can inform the WG on where they should prioritize, and know
where to put their attention.

Given that certain parts of the HTML5 spec are expected to be fairly
stable, we can assume that those sections will be implemented first.
Browser vendors may assume that something is stable, when it hasn't yet
gotten thorough review by the WG, so it would be good for each vendor to
come forward with their plans to implement a feature, to open the doors
for discussion.  This will result in better interoperability (because a
feature might change in the spec, and premature implementation may
hamper the browser or the spec itself), and in more robust features.
Properly managed, these discussions won't significantly slow down the
spec or the implementors, and may even save time.

I propose a progressive implementation report, which shows not only
which browser implements which features, but what the priorities and
timeline for each browser are.  For such a protracted process as
rebuilding HTML from the ground up, this is indispensable for the
stability of the authoring development environment.

Normally, a test suite and accompanying implementation report are
designed and intended not to reveal the current interoperability
landscape, but merely to prove the implementability of the featureset of
the spec.  But I think in this case, we should take that a step further,
for the benefit of all parties.

I understand that some companies may not wish to reveal their
implementation plans for any number of reasons.  I ask those companies
to reexamine the costs and benefits of being more public in this
instance, at least for specific features; if you find it still doesn't
make sense for you, then so be it, but if the majority of browsers
participate in this, then it will still be useful.  Even without browser
participation, maintaining an active implementation report will be a
great resource for developers and authors.

Please note that I'm speaking completely for myself here, not for W3C;
sling arrows my way, not at my employer.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers