Re: supporting both formats html5 & xhtml5 re: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#xhtml5

From: ryan <ryan@theryanking.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:04:47 -0800
Cc: Shawn Medero <soypunk@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org
To: Dean Edridge <dean@55.co.nz>

On Dec 19, 2007, at 6:27 AM, Dean Edridge wrote:
> Have you not heard of "one web" ?
> A XHTML5 web page MUST be accessible to all devices, otherwise how
> can it be used?

Perhaps you should just use HTML5 instead?

> Do you expect people using XHTML5 to use content-negotiation for
> ever? If so, they will never be able to use the benefits of XHTML5
> such as embedding SVG into a document.

SVG is on the list of things to specify in the HTML5 non-xml
serialization:

http://www.whatwg.org/issues/

> A person should be able to create a web page in XHTML5 and have it
> supported by *all* user-agents. If not, the whole idea of "one web"
> gets thrown out the window.

Why isn't support of HTML5 (non-xml) not enough to have "one web"?

> You should never have to create two versions of a website; a XHTML5
> version and a HTML5 version, you should only need to create the one
> version and all user-agents should support it.

Exactly.

> Opera software doesn't seem to have a problem creating user-agents
> that support both serialisations. And that's on a lot of different
> devices; from desktop browsers to mobile phones.

Just because Opera can and does do it, doesn't mean that everyone
else has the time, resources or desire to do so. And a MUST condition
in a spec doesn't change any of those things for any implementer.

> If there are any genuine reasons why both serialisations can't be
> supported by all user-agents I'd like to hear them.

If we could solve the 24-hours-in-a-day problem, I'm sure XHTML5
would be trivial to implement. ;)

-ryan