Re: let authors choose text/html or application/xhtml+xml (detailed review of section 1. Introduction)

On 8/31/07, Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> I continue to believe that the specification should define a canonical
> media type of "application/html" for the SGML inspired serialization of
> HTML5 and then proceed to define appropriate content sniffing rules for
> "text/html".

I don't expect that would solve anything.  Browser vendors sniff
content largely because they think they need to (silently) fix
publisher mistakes.  What would be their motivation for stopping that
practice for application/html?

Mark.