Re: let authors choose text/html or application/xhtml+xml (detailed review of section 1. Introduction)

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:33:06 -0500
Cc: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>

HI Dan, Phil and Kornel,

On Aug 30, 2007, at 6:53 PM, Kornel Lesinski wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:12:03 +0100, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
> wrote:
>
>> XHTML documents served as text/html result in interoperable behavior
>> in typical cases, so that constraint is too strong. Please change
>> it to "SHOULD be sent..." and "SHOULD NOT be served...".

I read the original passage quoted by DanD to be solely about XML
delivered HTML and therefore not really relevant to the text
serialization. MUST NOT be sent as text/html seems the appropriate
thing to say for that context.

However, there's a tendency in the draft I would like us to continue
and strengthen. That is the draft should talk about HTML as the
abstract form of the language independent of its various
serializations. Most of our recommendation will be about HTML in this
sense. The two serializations we support could simply be called the
'XML serialization' and the 'text serialization. These serializations
would only be addressed in terms of separate chapters on
serialization and parsing and probably to explicitly exclude
semantics that are not available in one serialization or the other
(such as structured-inline content in a P element). To me there's no
reason to eve necessarily use the term XHTML in relation to our work.
I think it might only contribute to general confusion.

The only other problem I see is our goal to support a hybrid
serialization (like the XHTNL 1.0 appendix C). This means there will
be a serialization of HTML5 that  as long as it doesn't take
advantage of text-only or XML-only features  works either as XML or
as text. Though this may be too much detail to get into in the
introduction.

Take care,
Rob