Re: review of content type rules by IETF/HTTP community

From: Magnus Kristiansen <magnusrk+w3c@pvv.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:49:23 +0200
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:23:24 +0200, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>

> On Aug 25, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Magnus Kristiansen wrote:
>> If you mean patches to add types, much of it has already been reported
>> (in
>> vain). [1] [2] [3]
> Apache does not list unregistered types in mime.types.  How many
> times does that need to be repeated?  If you want Apache to do something
> nonstandard, then there are many ways to configure your own server in
> a nonstandard way.  Otherwise, take the half hour required to submit
> a message to IANA requesting the assignment of a type.  It is a lot
> faster than getting Apache to add types that are explicitly forbidden
> by IETF standards to be used by distributed software.

A vanilla 2.2.4 mime.types contains 54 */x-* types already.

Anyhow, this has gone far off-topic. I wanted to point out that web
servers are intentionally shipping with incomplete type maps, in relation
to content sniffing. The discussion of why does not belong here.

Magnus Kristiansen
"Don't worry; the Universe IS out to get you."