Re: review of content type rules by IETF/HTTP community

From: Magnus Kristiansen <magnusrk+w3c@pvv.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:49:23 +0200
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:23:24 +0200, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Magnus Kristiansen wrote:
>> If you mean patches to add types, much of it has already been reported
>> (in
>> vain). [1] [2] [3]
>
> Apache does not list unregistered types in mime.types.  How many
> times does that need to be repeated?  If you want Apache to do something
> nonstandard, then there are many ways to configure your own server in
> a nonstandard way.  Otherwise, take the half hour required to submit
> a message to IANA requesting the assignment of a type.  It is a lot
> faster than getting Apache to add types that are explicitly forbidden
> by IETF standards to be used by distributed software.

A vanilla 2.2.4 mime.types contains 54 */x-* types already.

Anyhow, this has gone far off-topic. I wanted to point out that web
servers are intentionally shipping with incomplete type maps, in relation
to content sniffing. The discussion of why does not belong here.

--
Magnus Kristiansen
"Don't worry; the Universe IS out to get you."