Re: review of content type rules by IETF/HTTP community

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:17:14 +0200
To: Magnus Kristiansen <magnusrk+w3c@pvv.org>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, public-html@w3.org

Magnus Kristiansen wrote:
> It doesn't just apply to new format and old servers either. Apache does
> not include several common extensions in its mime mappings, as I
> understand it because there is a policy of only supporting
> IANA-registered types. Many of these are old and well-established, so
> there is little chance of them deciding to change their mind and
> register any time soon. I doubt Apache is alone, surely other web

Who are "they"? Anybody can try to register a type. The registration
procedure is here: <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288>.

> servers have their own ways to ensure not all content works as it should
> out of the box.
>
> The consequences are externalized to server admins to fix things on
> their own (e.g. with [1]) and UA implementors to make it work even when
> it's not fixed. I have low hopes for this problem being solved by the
> servers.
>
> [1]
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Properly_Configuring_Server_MIME_Types

Well, at least for Apache httpd the default is *not* to send a
content-type response header when the type is unknown. As far as I can
tell, we're discussing something completely different here: servers that
send an incorrect type.

Best regards, Julian