conformance (was Re: Review of 3.15.1. The table element)

On 8/23/07, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> is nonetheless important : can a certain markup style be
> "non-conforming" (rather than "deprecated") if it not
> consistent with WCAG guidelines but is consistent with
> HTML 5 syntax ?

I'm not sure. Do the following all mean different things?
1. valid HTML5
2. conforming HTML5
3. WCAG conformance

Valid HTML4/XHTML1 and WCAG compliance are currently different things.
I'm not sure where "conformance" fits into the picture, but have an
inkling it falls between the two (if so, not sure how useful I'll
personally find that as an author).

Or is conformance more about when HTML error handling kicks in (i.e.
to handle non-conforming content). Something entirely different? I
read 1.3 in the spec, it didn't simplify it for me.
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#conformance

Can we get a clear definition of "conformance" and have that added to
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#terminology