HTML5 - Video and audio codecs for video elements

From: Marghanita da Cruz <marghanita@ramin.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:31:40 +1000
To: HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>

This part of the HTML5 W3C Editor's Draft, 28 June 2007,
particularly interested me.

> Video and audio codecs for video elements
> User agents may support any video and audio codecs and container formats.
> User agents should support Ogg Theora video and Ogg Vorbis audio, as well as the Ogg container format. [THEORA] [VORBIS] [OGG]

Making a big assumption, that there haven't been any developments on the
specification, I welcome the inclusion of OGG/Theora/Vorbis.

My wishlist for video in HTML includes:

*an ability to associate a still image,
*streaming and
*captioning for the hearing impaired/description for the visually impaired.
*dubbing/alternate audio streams
*File size/alternate versions - for those with limited bandwidth/alternate devices.
*Timecoded playlists

My experiments with OGG on the web are at

Marghanita da Cruz
Phone: 0414 869202