Re: review of content type rules by IETF/HTTP community

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Sam Ruby wrote:

> > So while it may be valuable to have a way to say "this is really the
> > content type, please don't sniff", your example does not make a very
> > strong case for it, since browsers are in their rights to do custom
> > rendering of any XML content type based on the namespaces used in the
> > contents.
>
> If I changed my content type to text/plain, would that change your
> answer?  I would gladly change my Content-type to text/plain if only I
> could get browsers to respect that.  Gladly.  But they don't.

For what it's worth, I strongly agree with you that (for security reasons
if nothing else!) you should never have text/plain documents that only use
non-<control> characters sniffed and treated like HTML, RSS, or Atom.
Those documents should be treated as text/plain.

At the moment, the spec backs that up.