Review of table processing model (section 3.15.11. Processing model)

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:14:29 +0100
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

3.15.11.1. Forming a table

Step 4 reads:
"If the table element has no table children, then return the table
(which will be empty), and abort these steps."

It's not clear what is meant by "table children" as opposed to other
kinds of children here.

Somewhere around step 18. the current element needs to be advanced to
the next child of the table. I'm not sure if I'm missing something
obvious but I can't see where this occurs in the current algorithm.

In the algorithm for processing a row it is not stated which algorithm
should be used to parse colspan and rowspan attributes (I assume it is
the algorithm for parsing non-negative integers).

Data in the <caption> and <colgroup> elements only seem to be included
if the elements are correctly placed in the table. It seems more robust
to define the UA requirements so that the information in these elements
(especially caption) is included whether it appears before or after the
row grouping elements.

--
"Mixed up signals
Bullet train